The Ten Qualities of an Efficient Teacher:
Good teachers are made up of a combination of qualities that allow them do their job effectively. There is no denying that all teachers have their own unique blend one or more of these qualities. Each teacher is different but virtually every good teacher has qualities to get across to the students, academically, emotionally, psychologically which helps to generate the most effective teaching –learning process. There are innumerable qualities of a good teacher, both specific and generic and they include:
1. Concern and Compassion: Concern in the well being of the students and compassion for the students are two of the qualities essential for an effective teacher Students should be able to come and find their own identity by being in close proximity with the compassionate educator.
2. Resolving conflicts: Moreover a good teacher can offer lessons on empathy, compassion, anger management and engage in discussions to resolve conflicts both within the student and outside in the school and home.
3. Building Relationships: Teachers need to build relationships and treat the students as friends on an equal footing. Children can be made to feel more secure and safe with the teacher provided the teacher is aware of the child’s home environment.
4. Proactive Communicator: To be a teacher you must be an effective communicator. You must be able to communicate, clearly, vividly and with conviction with students, their parents as well as other faculties and colleagues. Difficulties in communication are likely to limit the effectiveness of a teacher.
5. Planning and Execution: Teachers who plan ahead, look out for solutions to solve those problems are less likely to be stressed. Beginning with a class that is well planned, well organized and with all the teaching aids, books, and the notes for the lessons to be taken in class makes and efficient teacher.
6. Flexibility: Good teaching is about having confidence to react and adjust to changing circumstances. Having a fixed agenda and being rigid is fine as far as planning is concerned, but real time execution should be free and flexible. It is about deviating from course syllabus or lecture schedule easily when there is a better learning experience to be explored.
7. Identify and develop skills: A class has a number of students each with specific skill sets and abilities. Identifying each of them and provoking them enough to explore their own abilities is one of the best ways of teacher and which makes an effective learning process.
8. Willingness to Explore: The teacher should be curious, passionate and interested about their pupil's interests, ambitions and feelings. A really good teacher should be ready for exploration.
9. Adapt and Update: With the digital technology entering the world of education, new and more modern methods of learning have been introduced. The teachers need to adapt to these modern ways and update their knowledge accordingly.
Be a role model: A teacher is someone who is idolized by their students hence it is only right that the teacher follows a code of conduct that motivates the students to do the same. Being a role model to many young minds it is the greatest quality of a teacher.
( Educationist with more than 15 years expeience in India and Abroad. Presently He is serving the cause of education in Tanzania. You can send your responses to him at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect to him on http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=69563625)